Courtesy of IDPH
Bed bugs are a cause for concern even if you don’t have them in your bed.
If you’re in an apartment building that has one resident afflicted with bed bug infestation, it’s possible that the infestation could spread to other apartments over a matter of months or even weeks.
What can you do make sure bed bugs don’t happen to you?
Unfortunately, there are no easy answers but here are 5 tips on keeping your bed bug free. If you have more tips, please let us know!
- Exterminator – A no-brainer for most people, but if you worried about getting bed bugs or you already have them, why not call in a reputable, extermination expert?
- Careful When Travelling – A hotel or motel can be a place where you can pick up bed bugs and then inadvertently carry them to your home.
- Clean Your Home – Regularly clean your sheets, bedding, mattresses and other household furniture. Caulking cracks around windows and sealing cracks around doors and walls is another important prevention tactic for bed bug bites.
- Birds and Bats – Sounds strange but birds or bats need to be present as “hosts” for the little creatures according the Illinois Department of Public Health . Most people don’t have bats as pets, but bird owners should take care.
- Seek Legal Advice – If you’re in a situation where legal action may be necessary against a landlord, for example, a lawyer is also an option or this helpful FAQ if you cannot afford one.
Here’s a riveting video from National Geographic on Bed Bugs: