Wasp stings can cause allergic reactions, but it’s rare that you hear one occurring at a football stadium.
Yet, that’s exactly what happened to Canadian Television’s sports director, Shawn Churchill, who was stung on the back of the head just prior to kickoff of a football game this past weekend according to the Winnipeg Sun.
Fortunately, football players on the sideline noticed that the reporter was starting to struggle with his breathing and ran to get team doctors.
It was the first time Churchill had been stung by a wasp and he didn’t think any thing of it, at first. He told the Sun:
“I felt something bite me on the back of the head, but just thought it was one of the players flicking me… A few minutes later, when I started talking on air, everything tightened up in my throat and I struggled to breathe.”
Churchill advises anyone in the same situation with a wasp sting allergy to not panic and seek medical attention as soon as possible.
This week, Churchill has started carrying with him an EpiPen which administers Epinepherine in case of an allergic reaction due to the allergy.
Dr. Ricardo Lobato de Faria, director of emergency services at the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, told the Winnipeg Sun that in spite of the seriousness of the wasp sting on Churchill, anaphylactic shock – a life-threatening condition – is rare for a first-time bite. But, he said that if a person continues to get stung, it’s possible for the threat for a serious reaction to go up.
A local exterminator, Lincoln Poulin (pictured with an enormous wasp nest), said that there are a lot more wasps this time of year. For homeowners, he recommended that anyone barbecuing outside – a magnet for wasps – should consider using wasp traps that are 5 to 6 feet away. He also advised that cream soda or old cooked chicken can be a deterrent due to the high odor and sugar content.September 11, 2008 – 4:49 pm